Granger Smith just announced his most personal project yet.
On Nov. 30, Smith’s self-produced documentary drops alongside an original soundtrack. The documentary honors the lives of five fallen soldiers and seeks to pay tribute to their heroic sacrifices and legacies.
In partnership with Texas Roadhouse and Altama, the full-length documentary will be available on his YouTube channel. The soundtrack will be available at digital retailers and stream services. Pre-order begins today.
“I’m lucky enough to have achieved a lot of different milestones and accolades in my career, but I realize that doesn’t come from merit alone. I discovered a long time ago that I am allowed to chase these dreams because of men and woman who volunteer to ensure my freedom,” Smith says of the project. “I’ve taken entertainment tours to war zones in the Middle East. I’ve walked 400 miles in combat boots to raise money for returning soldiers. And somehow, none of that comes close to repaying my debt of gratitude. When a hero falls, their legacy must live on. Their sacrifice has sewn the fabric of our freedom, and their story must be retold.”
Over the course of five days, Smith and director Paul De La Cerda go on a journey to honor each soldier, one per day. The film is set against the beautiful Chihuahuan Desert near the Texas Rio Grande and Mexico border. Smith narrates it and personal letters from the soldiers and meets their family members and loved ones.
There are one-on-one interviews in the documentary that allow viewers to intimately get to know the heroes. They learn about their families and the aftermath of losing a loved one for the price of freedom.
They Were There: A Hero’s Documentary drops on Smith’s YouTube Channel on Nov. 30. The soundtrack will also be available that day on all digital retailers.
They Were There Track List:
1. “They Were There” (Granger Smith, Mitchell Tenpenny, Jordan Schmidt, Andy Albert)
2. “You’re In It” (Frank Rogers, Justin Adams, Mark Nesler)
3. “We Got It” (Granger Smith, Jordan M. Schmidt, Justin Wilson, Jamie Paulin)
4. “4 Wheel Drive” (Granger Smith, Frank Rogers, Mike Florentino)
5. “Everybody Lives” (Tommy Cecil, Seth Ennis, Jay Brunswick, Jaida Dryer)
6. “I’m A Fan” (Granger Smith, Justin Wilson, Jamie Paulin, Jordan Schmidt)
7. “Raise Up Your Glass” (Frank Rogers, Matt Alderman, Ty Graham)
8. “Love Ain’t Blind” (Granger Smith, Justin Wilson, Jamie Paulin)
9. “Home Cooked Meal” (Granger Smith, Frank Rogers)
10. “Never Too Old” (Granger Smith, Justin Wilson, Jordan M. Schmidt, Andrew Albert)
11. “You’re In It” (Remix) (Frank Rogers, Justin Adams, Mark Nesler)